August Projects

I feel guilty for doing this, but I already ordered all the yarn for these projects! The guilty part of me has to due with the Peppermint Twist sweater – Rowan is expensive, and I totally splurged (I was going to substitute with more affordable yarns but the colors were too tempting!!).

SnB’s Peppermint Twist Sweater:

Lacy Kerchief Scarf (from IK’s Summer 2005)

The only thing is, the Peppermint Twist is knitted up in flat pieces, and then sewn together. I wonder if I can put this on circs instead…?

FO: Dayflower Lace Scarf

Weekend news – had some friends over for afternoon tea and a mini-workshop on how to knit. It was really fun. I also was able to finish my Dayflower Lace Scarf! Yay!

Here’s the blocking:

It’s drapes nicely… tommorrow I’m wrapping this baby up for a friend in Tulsa. =)

Pattern: Dayflower Lace Scarf, created by Toni M. Maddox
Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Alpine Lilac, 1 skein
Needle: US #8

Cami Progress

I’ve started the Honeymoon Cami, and here’s what I’ve done so far (I’ve got the eyelet border and the waist shaping pretty much done):

Some closeups of the eyelet border:

New Project!

I promised myself I would tackle that Shimmer and build up the courage to frog and fix it, but I needed a breather project to occupy myself with first. And since Branching Out peaked my curiosity and interest with lace, I figured that this next lace scarf project would go pretty fast and smooth. Here’s my progress so far (I’m using Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Alpine Lilac):

I love the soft lavender color – it’s one of my favorite colors (can you tell by this blog?). I definitely want to dabble into lace once my skills are more advanced. =)

Cabled Clutch

Ok, it’s finally done! I’ve posted pics of the process, and how I knitted it up (a pattern) below.

I knitted it up until the desired length.

A close-up of the cable (I used a needle top from my Boye Needlemaster set)

I bought dowels and used a handsaw to cut it to the right size. Then I used a pencil sharpener to sharpen the ends, and then I stained it a dark rosewood color.

Sewing it up together and put on a ribbon – tada!

Here’s the back.

A top view so you can see the lining and the handles and the magnet buttons.

So here’s how I did it – I took info from a KR thread and slightly tweaked it to my own makeshift specifications:

Materials: 1 ball of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick (80% Acrylic/20% Wool); 2 wooden dowels (each 6-7 inches long); hot glue; 1.5 yards of ribbon

Needles: #13 straights, cable needle

Pattern:
Cast on 34 stitches. (I used a super bulky weight yarn – but if you want to use worsted weight, cast on 48 sts, and do a total of 3 cables instead of 2.)

Row 1 – p2 (k2, p2, k8, p2), repeat between (parentheses) one more time for a total of 2 cables, ending with k2, p2.

Row 2 – k2 (p2, k2, p8, k2), repeat between (parentheses) one more time for a total of 2 cables, ending with p2, k2.

Alternate these two rows until you get the length desired. EXCEPT do a cable crossing (cross 4 sts; I’ve put in bold where to cross) every 10 rows – on rows 6, 16, 26, 36, etc. to desired length, and end bag with 5 rows after the last cable crossing, then bind off. (I did a total of 41 rows, and my bag is 9 inches wide and 6-ish inches tall) Fold it in half, sew up the side seams, leaving 2 inches or so at the top so you will be able to open the bag.

I put in a lining, magnet button closure, and weaved a ribbon around the bag and tied it in the front. I also sewed the dowels to the bag by passing my yarn needle through one stitch, around the dowel, and through the next stitch, all the way across. Then I glued each side of the dowel to the last stitch of either side so the stitches don’t slide off the dowel.

Note: I used Lion Brand’s Wool-Ease Thick & Quick because it was the cheapest super bulky yarn around. I think in the future, for any kind of bag/purse, I’d recommend a bulky yarn of a cotton blend instead.

***

NOTE: this pattern is not my own, I saw some notes at a KR thread on making cabled clutches and fudged around with it. Have fun with it! Make changes as you see fit for your project! =)